Have an idea for sARL?

General Atlantic Roadracing League chat. Feel free to ask any questions here!
spotthedogg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1320: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Have an idea for sARL?

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

AMurray
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1320: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AMurray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I could write a book.
Its very important for people to keep presenting ideas, even more important to put thought into how an idea could be implemented. For example: Highway signs, I worked on this for a number of years to get a proper provincial highway signs at exit 9 and 10. If I remember correctly, the cost of this will range from around $7K to $15K. $7K if the posts already exist and there is an available spot (4 maximum per posts), $15K if the posts do not already exist. I met with the province on several occasions on this topic alone, and had made some significant headway to get something done, but in the end I received no 'buy-in' from AMP. AMP does not promote the track and it is not their concern, so promotion is left up to the clubs. In my mind, this is a fundamental flaw in AMP's business logic, and will force all the clubs to always be run at the brink of ruin, while AMP will just continue to collect their rental fees with no interest in how successful the clubs are. ( I could write a few chapters on this alone)

Anyway, short story long.... all those ideas have been done in the past, some successfully some not. This doesn't mean they couldn't work now, nor does it mean they shouldn't be discussed again. Maybe one small change, could make a previously failed idea a success. That said, each idea requires actual effort from people to implement. This level of effort could be significant. So, certainly talk to those people who have tried things in the past so maybe a new approach could be developed.

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

There is no doubt it all comes down to the effort of individuals, we all have busy lives and excuses so we need to ask ourselves are we doing enough? It seems like a monumental undertaking...
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

bluestreek

Postby bluestreek » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Just noticed this thread, I have said it before and I will say it again. ARL (and AMP) have tried for decades to get new riders and fans to the track. With some new ideas and some rehashed old ones getting the same results for the most part. I think a change in direction is needed and with some of the ideas mentioned above, that seems to be gaining some momentum. Promotion via the use of social media is KEY! Plus, I think that ARL (In conjunction with AMP) should build a promotions committee but they are powerless without a reasonable budget. I've always wondered since it seems difficult to get fans to the track, how about taking the track to the fans? There are numerous bike shows in each province in the spring/early summer. ARL should be represented at EVERY show. There should also be some kind of representation at the regions major motorcycle gatherings (ie Atlanticade, Warf Rat Ralley). Signage, bikes and video footage should always be onsite at these events. Another approach should be approaching EASTLINK TV on broadcasting all ARL events during the winter. We should be working with community colleges that offer media and broadcasting courses and work out a deal to have them record and create 1hr TV programs focusing on the ARL Champinnship as well as AMP as a whole. The ONLY way we are to get any kind on series sponsorship (of a significant nature) is to give them promotional access. Signage at the track will gain a lot more importance if it can be seen on a regular basis on TV and social media. ARL exposure is the name of the game. I have been working with ARL management on gaining ARL some significant exposure on PEI and perhaps, if this becomes a reality, we could copy and paste this to be duplicated in other areas f the maritime's. Agian, taking the track to the fans is a must I believe and by using TV and social media this will help get the word out.

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:24 am

What college has the best TV Media program?
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:46 am

Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:44 am

I think we should start ending Saturday with a mini moto double header. Open class with entry granted to XR/CRF100 Motards & Grom
Of course if you already have a smaller bike and want to run it that would be ok, two 6 lap races of the entire track. Put in a couple of extra corners with cones and blammo good cheap fun, probably $50 to do two races?

2003 Honda XR100R Budget Build Sheet By: Jim Linton

Below is a build list for an xr100 built to UMRA spec Thunder class. The benefits of this build are the reliability that comes with the xr100 and how inexpensive it is to build a competitive bike for the stock class. I have compiled this list of information after spending weeks researching the best set up for the xr100 while keeping it cheap and reliable. The list is short, but it is all that can be changed while still following the rules.

Suspension:

The suspension modification is very limited for this class, so the best we can do is add the stiffer BBR springs for the forks with 15w fork oil along with a BBR spring for the rear shock. (Part numbers below)

BBR fork springs: 650-HXR-1005

BBR rear shock spring: 660-HXR-1005

Wheels:

For the stock class, the only wheel option is an xr80r 16” front wheel newer than 1985. If you are lucky, you can pick one up on ebay for around $60-$75. If not, the rim and spokes would run you around $140.00 and getting it laced to the xr100 hub shouldn’t be more than $75. The alternative is to buy a complete front wheel from Honda that runs about $285.

Honda XR80R complete front wheel: 42650-GN1-681

Honda XR80R rim ONLY: 44701-GN1-013

Spokes (36 total): 44610-GN1-405 (QTY 18)

44611-GN1-405 (QTY 18)

Tires:

Unfortunately, using a 16” tire our options are limited. The best bang for your buck tires are the Bridgestone BT45s. My preference is a 100/90/16 on front and a 110/90/16 on the rear. When you order them, they will both be front scooter tires. Some people prefer to run 110/90/16 on both front and rear, but I found it transitions from side to side just a hair better with the 100 on front. A second popular option is the Pirelli Diablo, which is a bit cheaper although they do wear a bit quicker and have been reviewed as having less grip than the BT45s.

Brakes:

The xr100 front drum brakes do a horrible job at stopping, but with the stock class it is our only option. To help a little I recommend using EBC drum brake shoes.

Doo-dads:

More than likely, you will crash, so if it is in the budget, Acerbis hand guards with the metal brace should save you from spending money on hand controls.

The xr100 practically takes two hands to get to full throttle, so a T Bolt ¼ turn throttle is a very helpful upgrade.

¼ turn throttle: http://tboltusa.com/store/tb-14-billet- ... p-555.html
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:39 am

2016 would be a good year to start this building interest in MiniMoto as the development track could be ready for 2017. I would propose a stock class and maybe down the road an open/modified class
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 am

It would be nice if the gift certificate options stayed on the website all year and not just at Christmas. There are many reasons to give a gift certificate :)
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

Return to “General Discussion”