Lap Timers

General Atlantic Roadracing League chat. Feel free to ask any questions here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1320: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fiddler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1320: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lap Timers

Postby fiddler » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 pm

I would like to buy a lap timer. Can someone give me advice on the best one to purchase?

thanks,
Chris

russell

Re: Lap Timers

Postby russell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Lots of options for sure. The most common are probably the XT racing version and the older Aim versions. I think a few guys have tried the inexpensive versions similar to the V3 models.
I have run the xt laptimers and currently have a GPT laptimer.
Someone probably has a Q stars laptimer which is gps based and you can plot stuff on your computer if you so wish.
Personally don't overthink it and just get something for not too much money. Now I use the laptimer more for keeping track of laps on my tires more than tracking lap times, but that comes with time.
If you get one with a transmitter check pit lane to see if anyone else is using the same one. Sometimes two of the same out on pit wall screws them up. Place yours with the others to prevent interferences.
I may sell mine, if interested let me know. Probably sell mine for $100
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/XT-Racing-Mini-L ... 19&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/V3-Plastic-Lap-T ... wP&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPT-Stopwatch-D ... 1a232a9bd0
ARL#44
Special thanks to
Thug Engine Works, engine building/tuning
Halifax Motorsports, Parts and Accessories

Flipping tires like pancakes:)
280 laps on a rear and counting, Love the Pirellis
Best SV lap 1:11.8, thanks for the tow Marshall:)

marior1

Postby marior1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:44 pm

I thought an7y transmitter will work with any lap timer. So technicaly you only need 1 for all the lap timers right ??

russell

Postby russell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Incorrect.

AIM laptimer needs it's own beacon, GPT needs it's own, XT needs it's own.

They all run on slightly different frequencies.
There may be some that cross over and will work with other beacons, but normally they are setup on different freq and therefore need their own.

I had an XT and it would not work with AIM or GPT. I know some had the V3 and they wouldn't work with any already on the wall.

If there are 20 guys with XT laptimers only one XT beacon needs to be put out.
Hope this helps.
ARL#44
Special thanks to

marior1

Postby marior1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks yup it does.

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

I and several others use the $35 eBay (V3?) replica with good luck. They aren't waterproof is my only complaint
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am

John is your GPT infrared?
Scott Campbell
2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250
1974 CB360
2009 BMW F800GS

russell

Postby russell » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 am

Yes.
ARL#44
Special thanks to

Superbike Racer

Postby Superbike Racer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm

These won't work for racing, but you can also use a phone app that uses your GPS. Two choices are TrackAddict and RaceChrono.
Look, lean, and believe.

Return to “General Discussion”